- Trump announced via social media that the U.S. will send 5,000 additional troops to Poland, framing the decision around the election of Polish President Karol Nawrocki — a Trump ally who took office in August.
- The announcement reverses Hegseth’s surprise cancellation earlier this month of a nine-month armored brigade rotation from Fort Hood — a move that blindsided Army leadership, alarmed Polish officials, and drew bipartisan congressional criticism.
- Trump reportedly called Hegseth to ask why the Poland deployment was cancelled and told him the U.S. shouldn’t treat Poland poorly — a sign of friction between Trump’s political instincts and Hegseth’s Europe-drawdown agenda.
- The overall trajectory remains intact: the U.S. is reducing forces it commits to NATO under the NATO Force Model to free up capacity for the Pacific and Western Hemisphere, and Germany is simultaneously losing 5,000 troops after its chancellor criticized U.S. Iran war strategy.
What Happened?
President Trump announced Thursday that the U.S. will send 5,000 additional troops to Poland, citing the election of President Karol Nawrocki. The announcement comes weeks after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth abruptly cancelled the planned nine-month rotation of an armored brigade from Fort Hood — a decision so sudden that Army Secretary Dan Driscoll and acting Army chief of staff Gen. Christopher LaNeve told Congress they learned about it only days before it was announced. Polish officials said they were not consulted. Trump reportedly called Hegseth directly to ask why the deployment was cancelled and told him Poland, as a close ally, should not be treated poorly. One option under discussion would shift the 2nd Cavalry Regiment from Vilseck, Germany to Poland — allowing Trump to simultaneously punish Germany (which criticized his Iran war strategy) while reassuring Warsaw.
Why It Matters?
The episode exposes the tension inside Trump’s defense policy between two competing impulses: rewarding allies who align with his political preferences and executing a systematic reduction of U.S. military commitments to NATO Europe. Poland has been one of NATO’s most enthusiastic defense spenders — it is building infrastructure to permanently host American troops and has offered to cover the cost. Germany, by contrast, drew Trump’s ire over Iran. The result is a geographically differentiated drawdown that punishes the wrong allies and rewards the right ones, with troop numbers following political relationships rather than strategic doctrine. The broader NATO Force Model reduction — which the administration plans to brief allies on in coming days — is the larger story: the U.S. is systematically reducing what it commits to European defense to free capacity for the Pacific.
What’s Next?
Congressional Republicans are already signaling they will use the 2027 National Defense Authorization Act to create additional guardrails on European troop withdrawals. House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mike Rogers warned consequences beyond travel budget cuts are coming. Poland is offering to build permanent infrastructure to house U.S. forces and their dependents — an offer that could eventually lead to the first permanently stationed (rather than rotational) U.S. forces in Eastern Europe, a significant escalation of forward posture. Watch for the NATO briefing on the Force Model reduction, which will reveal the full scope of the U.S. military retrenchment in Europe and its implications for allied defense planning ahead of the next NATO summit.
Source: The Wall Street Journal












